Joint service for the Waveney Group of parishes, St Mary’s church, Ellingham at 10 am.
Sixteen names are listed on the War Memorial in the churchyard.
|Killed, 1914-1918||Killed, 1939-1945|
|Edgar C. Cossey||Raymond Burcham|
|Leonard A. Watson||Alice Maude Curtis|
|William Ward||Eddie Church|
|George Baldry||Herbert Marshall|
|George W. Norman||R.A. John Page|
|Nelson N. Cossey||Stanley Rumsey|
|George A. Shawl|
|Samuel J. Cossey|
|Albert E. Hood|
|Leonard W. Everett|
On a pillar inside the church hang not one but two Rolls of Honour. These offer more information about the ten who died during the First World War. Two of the Cosseys were already enrolled in the regular army before 1914; both were corporals.
One Roll of Honour lists a further 48 men from the parish of Ellingham who served in the armed forces during the Great War and returned home. Fourteen were wounded, five were gassed, three were taken prisoner, two were blinded and others were “shell-shocked”. The names of certain families crop up time and again: Hood, Thrower, Barber, Snowling, Spalding, Baldry …
A second Roll of Honour hangs on the same pillar. It lists 53 employees of W.D. & A.E. Walker who served during the First World War (two of them were killed). Walkers were maltsters in Bungay who owned Ellingham Mill and were major employers in the area.